Monday, August 27, 2012

Daring to do it: Filled Pate a Choux Swans

(I am not at home right now, and I only have access to two pictures from this process...  Sorry!)

One of the reasons I joined the Daring Kitchen was to stretch my abilities as a home cook and baker.  Another reason I joined was to have fun.  This month's challenge was the perfect example of both!!

Kat of The Bobwhites was our August 2012 Daring Baker hostess who inspired us to have fun in creating pate a choux shapes, filled with crème patisserie or Chantilly cream. We were encouraged to create swans or any shape we wanted and to go crazy with filling flavors allowing our creativity to go wild!

Having made cream puffs before (remember the croquembouche challenge?), I was excited for a chance to make them again.  But swans?  I am not exactly adept with a piping bag.  And I was REALLY nervous about making something so delicate.  But Kat was an amazing hostess.  Her mandatory items for this challenge:  Make a crème-filled choux pastry in the design of your choice. Also mandatory is having a lot of fun doing it.  So I didn't have to do swans, but I did have to have fun.  That I can do!!
So I made ladybugs.
I dyed the choux pastry red, I filled it with dairy free chocolate pudding (Baby Girl has a milk allergy, I am lactose intolerant...), and I even added chocolate chip spots.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/63061173@N08/7792244598/" title="pics thru 8-15-2012 070 by tinkrsh, on Flickr">http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8424/7792244598_727e6ebc24_m.jpg
" width="240" height="180" alt="pics thru 8-15-2012 070">I was really proud of how they turned out.  And we really did have fun.  Making them and eating them!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/63061173@N08/7792244062/" title="pics thru 8-15-2012 072 by tinkrsh, on Flickr">http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7270/7792244062_a8aed60bf1_m.jpg
" width="240" height="180" alt="pics thru 8-15-2012 072">
Thank you so much, Kat!  I really was going to attempt swans after the fun I had with the bugs, I just ran out of time...  But hopefully I will make them another time and still have a great time! 
If you want to have some fun of your own, look here to see what my fellow Daring Bakers created.  It will blow you away!

8 comments:

  1. I can see your cute little lady bugs at a party for a little girl, or better yet at a shower for a big girl. They are so cute! I do hope you try the swans, I had such a fun time making mine! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lady bugs :-) That's awesome!
    Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The ladybug was such a creative idea, Ruth! The kids must have loved that! They are perfect!! A fabulous job, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the lady bugs! Such a gorgeous and creative idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sweet! And so creative - I never would have thought of lady bugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What cute little lady bugs! Especially the red choux...great job on the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How precious! I love the lady bugs! Great idea

    ReplyDelete
  8. your ladybugs are so perfect!!! i LOVE ladybugs and have collected them, given them, sewn them, etc. for years...never have made pate a choux ones, however! today may be the day as sweet granddaughter is here. thanks for sharing such adorable cuties and have a great day

    ReplyDelete